Starch Modification – extending starch functionality
By: Dr Michael Radeloff…
The first lesson is free! Just click lesson 1 to try before you buy.
Why modify starch?
Technologically advanced markets prefer the use of modified starches over native starches as products of improved functional properties and standardised performance.
As starches in their native form are relatively inert, they must be modified to disrupt the structure and induce or enhance functional properties not present in the native starch as such.
While physical methods of starch modification apply different combinations of temperature, moisture, pressure, and shear to obtain functional native starches, enzymatic and chemical modifications of starch are acting on the molecular structure of starch itself.
Take this Course
- The market demand for modified starches
- Functionality of native starches
- Physical modification of starch
- Enzyme modification of starch
- Chemical modification of starch
- Industrial processes of chemical starch modification
- Course conclusion